Today was a productive day in my conversion to veganism. I started the day eating some cereal. I am hoping it was vegan, but I had thrown the box away, so I didn't know, and I was starving. So I ate it...
Around mid-morning, my husband kindly reminded me that I was going to clean out the fridge of all animal products. I was shocked at how much I had. Here are some pictures to show how much money I wasted in the past month or so on dairy, and how much I was buying into the thought that as long as I wasn't eating meat, I could just put the dairy on top of my veggies and rice. But what was the difference, really? I was consuming and feeding my family way too many products derived from animals.
In my first post, I predicted 35 items. I think I was almost exactly right. About 33-35 things, just out of my fridge and freezer! I'll just say that seeing all this food that I was about to throw away kind of made my husband re-think his support he told me I had. He kind of went a little bonkers for a little while, but he came around.
I let him keep two Go-Gurts. (Gross). He also wanted me to give the food away, but I felt like if I thought it was unhealthy, why would I give it to someone else? I likened it to being a smoker, and quitting, then giving your cigarettes to another smoker! Hubby didn't agree with that statement, so to keep the peace, I asked my neighbors if they wanted some un-opened cheese and Milk, and they were grateful. They gave us some diapers that their baby outgrew that were the size our baby wears. So I think that was good Karma!
All in all, I felt a little confused at the beginning of the day, and a little tinge of "What have I done?" but after my first discussion with a guest at dinner about why I am making this change, I was even more convinced I am doing the right thing.
For a moment today, I had to ask myself, "Am I being too extreme, or just making a choice one way or the other?" I honestly think that for myself, I can't be in between on the issue of vegetarianism vs. veganism.. I am surprised that it snuck up on me. Just a few days ago, I bought a new case of yogurt, and LOTS of cheese(see photo above). I wasn't planning on giving all that up. But it wasn't like I LOVED yogurt and cheese. It was safe. It was what I knew. So I kept doing it...
But, after reading many, many vegan blogs, websites, articles, studies, and watching a video or two of the treatment of animals on the journey to being my dinner, I couldn't be a fence sitter anymore... I had to decide to either contribute to the madness, or refuse. I don't know if my choice to not eat animals will make a big difference in the planet, but I know I will feel better physically and emotionally, knowing I am giving my family healthy foods to eat, and not killing innocent animals.
But I still feel like a big old FAKE VEGAN!! I'll tell you why: there is a back story which needs to be explained first, sorry...
So two summers ago, I wasn't eating meat, well, I would eat meat occasionally, as a guest or if I wasn't cooking it. So we went to visit some really good friends of ours in North Carolina. I wasn't planning on saying a word about my leanings towards being a vegetarian, because I didn't want to make them go to any trouble to feed me. But, our first meal there, my husband thought he would be funny when they served us some chicken dish, and he told his buddy, "I can't believe you made that, my wife is a vegan!" So they felt all bad, and were like, what do you want? We'll make it! They were very nice. But I insisted I wasn't vegan, I just don't like meat very much, but I would eat whatever they made me. I truly was fine with it.
So all through the week, I did just that. I probably had meat a few times. No big deal. So when we were leaving, our friends told me they thought I was the coolest fake vegan they knew! It has been a little joke since then. When I would eat meat I would call myself a fake vegan.
So now here I am. Proclaiming I am vegan, while I am walking around in my sheepskin Uggs that I bought at Christmas. I live in Central Missouri, and it is cold. I will repeat, I bought them before I knew I wanted to be vegan. I love these boots. They are the coziest things I have ever put on my feet. But I feel fake! So I am telling myself to take baby steps, but I am a tad bit overwhelmed at how many animal ingredients are in almost everything. Can I not wear my MAC lipstick anymore? My perfume? My Coach bag???? I am pretty shallow when it comes to those departments and don't want to give them up! So what do I do? Is that being a fake vegan, or can I say that I only EAT vegan??? That seems like a cop out. So I guess I am still on the fence when it comes to that side of things....
Tomorrow we make the trip to the big city to hit up Whole Foods and Trader Joe's. I am going to make a list of meals and ingredients I need and go from there. I don't know what Temphe is, or how to make Seitan.... but I am going to just find some yummy recipes and try to start simple. I made hummus tonight... Baby steps....
No comments:
Post a Comment