Today, we made the hour and a half drive to the big City where there was a Whole Foods Store and a Trader Joes. I got lots of GREAT Vegan items at Whole Foods! I feel like I have so many items that I really don't know how to prepare or what to make out of them, but I'll find some recipes, I hope!
I really loved the produce. It was FRESH! The tomatoes were red, and not a dull pale orange color, like the ones at the Wal Mart Super Center. (The main grocery hub in my town.) It was pricey, but I finally felt like I was buying QUALITY food that I would actually eat, instead of buying gross, barely edible produce that by the next day when I take it out of my fridge, it's already bad and I don't eat it!
I made homemade pasta sauce tonight, SPICY, I love it, and spaghetti w/some crusty bread I got at W.F. it was wonderful. I was planning on having eggplant with it, but the eggplant that was in my fridge that I bought only a few days ago at the local Wal Mart was utterly disgusting. So, I counted the pasta sauce as my vegetable, as there were lots of tomatoes in it!
All in all, aside from dragging my husband and two kids all over the place all day long, it was a very successful trip. I'm so glad we went. I think I'll be repeating it about once a month, or more, if we have time. We also liked getting out of our little town and feeling more urban for a day.
Here are some foods that I am the most excited about:
Fruit Smoothies in the mornings w/my oatmeal
Clementine oranges for my sweet snacks
Hummus w/Pitas... MMMMM! - also one of my 2 year old's favorites!
Coconut Oil- to make vegan cupcakes and other things!
Some things I bought but don't know what to do with are:
Asparagus- used to hate it, thought I would give it another chance because it is so pretty
Seitan, temphe, tofu (I don't know how to make ANY of them taste good.)
I think I am just going to play it by ear and see what recipes I can find and what looks good when I open the fridge. I usually plan out what I am going to make ahead of time, but the great thing about vegan cooking is it doesn't take that long to whip up dinner! Well, maybe when I have more practice and get more advanced, I'll take longer and make more involved recipes... I'm going to try and keep it simple for now, though. Wish me luck! If anyone has tips for me, I'd appreciate them!
Thanks,
Wannabe
Hi!
ReplyDeleteI saw your post on the egg nog ice cream post at eat, drink, & be vegan. Congratulations! It is a VERY exciting thing to make such a great change. I'm sure you can stick with it. I've been vegan for about 10 months, was vegetarian for 4 years before that, and then had "tried" veganism for about 6 months, so I know a bit about how to make it work. The first thing is to look at your reasons for it. If you really believe that eating those products is wrong, then avoiding them is simple and easy, and you'll find you don't end up missing much. The second thing is to buy lots & lot of cookbooks, especially those with really simple ingredient lists. I have a few of my favourites listed on my blog. I also talk about daily vegan living, animal rights, and throw in a few recipes here and there, so you might find it helpful.
Let me know if you need any info to help you on your vegan adventure. It's worth it!
Oops! I guess I should have told you where to find my blog if you're interested!
ReplyDeleteHere you go:
http://busyhappyvegan@blogspot.com