Sunday, April 4, 2010

Oh Vegan Blog, I've been neglecting you...

I originally started this blog to document my journey into vegan eating... It's kind of like my vegan diary. I miss it when I don't have time to sit and think about the things I'm eating, and the choices I'm making when it comes to food. I don't think a lot of people stop and think about it as often as they should. I really like doing that, so I can re-dedicate myself to my way of eating.

Like I mentioned in my last post, we're preparing for a move, so we are trying to eat up all of our pantry food, and pretty much just buy fresh produce to get us through a week at a time. Also, this entire past week we spent preparing for a garage sale, which was a HUGE undertaking for us. Our garage was like a junk-yard... We still had boxes and boxes of things we didn't even know what was in them... We move a lot. So we wanted to start our next move off with less things. We worked out there every day with breaks for taking the kids to the park and one day trip to the Zoo to just get out of the garage. Luckily, it paid off, we made enough $$ to cover the cost of gas for a big road trip we are taking this week. Like a 2,000 mile round trip. So that is a lot of gas!

But, we sacrificed our meals for the garage sale. I'm embarrassed to say we ate out more than 2 times, and the kids had a lot of peanut butter sandwiches. But, it was kind of nice to take a break from it all. So the next 2 days are all about cleaning house, eating healthy, and getting packed. We leave Wednesday. I am so excited.

We were invited to a little Easter Egg hunt/ cook-out/ get together last night. I was a little worried that our friends would be annoyed if I said anything about how we eat. So I didn't say anything, but I volunteered to bring a few things. I brought a yummy fruit salad, guacamole, and some veggie burgers for us to eat. There was a little friendly teasing, but all in all, we just didn't really care what they thought! So we ate our yummy food, as did our kids. The other kids were stuffed full of hot dogs, and I wasn't sad one little bit that my kid ate more carrot sticks than the other ones combined. He basically wanted the guacamole and carrots. I was so proud!

Lately, I've noticed something that if I didn't think it was funny, I might be offended. OK, so this has happened to me two times.  The first time was with a friend of mine. We were on the phone, and my diet came up. This friend is always worried about her weight, which is totally normal, and she just had a baby, so I told her not to worry about it. She takes diet pills and eats frozen diet meals. Yuck. I told her I want to plant my own garden, that I  drink a green smoothie for breakfast, and I love eating vegan because I feel healthy, and it actually helped me loose some weight after having my last baby. She was kind of quiet on her end after I told her this, so to break up the silence, I poked fun at myself to get some laughs, saying, "I know, I'm a weirdo hippie." Or something to that affect. She says, "it's ok, so is my sister in law, so I'm used to it!"

At first, I was thinking, ok, so she doesn't think I'm weird. Then, I realized, she basically AGREES that I'm weird, and just says she doesn't mind! HAHA. I don't know why I always make a joke at my own expense, I've always done it, I guess as a defense mechanism. At least they're laughing WITH me, right? That's what my Mom taught me, I guess.

Well, I did it again last night at the Easter party. We were talking over dinner, us and two other couples, and someone asked what made me want to be vegan. I told them it started when I was attending Massage Therapy School, and I saw the cadavers. I thought, "why do we eat a cow's muscle? That is gross." Then someone said, "You went to Massage Therapy School?  I didn't know that!" And I said, "ya, I did, I'm a hippie like that. I like to eat plants, I practice Massage, I am all about Natural Childbirth, I'm just a weirdo!" It worked, people laughed, but of course, someone chimes in, "Oh, my Dad is just like that, I'm totally used to it."

And I think that's the last time I will use humor when it comes to things that are important to me and that I'm passionate about. Because to me, it's not a joke, I don't think it's humorous, but I think it's important.

 I've kind of been inspired lately by a person who isn't even "vegan." I've been watching Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution on TV. It's simply mind blowing to see what he's doing. I can't believe that people actually live the way they do. On his show, he is in Huntington, West Virginia, the United State's #1 unhealthiest town. More people die there from causes related to obesity than anywhere else. He is trying to change the food that is served in the public school system. Most children in the elementary school he was in didn't know the names of about 6 vegetables that he showed them. But they did know Pizza, French Fries, chicken nuggets and Sodas! And that's what they are being served at school, and at home. It was so sad. I seriously can't stop thinking about it.  I hope he is able to start his revolution. I just wish he wasn't pushing chicken breasts so much. That pasta dish he made had plenty of veggies in it, he could have left the chicken out. But I guess you gotta start somewhere!

Well, I'm sorry this post is very long, boring, and personal. It's more for me, anyway. I'll try and take plenty of pictures of pretty things on our trip, and maybe even go to this vegan restaurant that I used to know of. 

No comments:

Post a Comment