We just realized that we are moving in about 6 weeks. And in the time leading up to the move, we'll be out of town for a total of about 2 weeks. When I put it that way, I can hardly believe it! (We're an active duty Army family, we move quite a bit.)
So I've gone from trying to increase my vegan pantry to just trying to eat whatever we already have and not have to let everything go to waste. Luckily, my food storage space is rather small, so I usually need to stock up every 2 weeks or so for basic things. So I'm going to stop stocking up! I kind of was afraid that eating whatever we already have would get really boring, but tonight's dinner wasn't that bad. I had a couple of different kinds of potatoes, so I mashed some up, with a side of frozen broccoli, and some salad. I also found a recipe for Peach Pecan Muffins in my "Vegan Table" cookbook, and I had everything to make it, so I gave it a try. I don't have a picture, but it wasn't that exciting to look at. I was just happy my 2 year old scarfed down all his food, and he kept calling the mashed potatoes 'rice'. It was cute. The baby enjoyed playing with the mashed potatoes and feeding himself little broccoli chunks. Then we shared a muffin amongst ourselves. I may or may not have indulged in a couple more after they went to bed!
So my goal this upcoming week is to try and use up as much rice and beans and soup mixes as I can, and only spend grocery money on fresh produce and rice milk and things like that. Hopefully, we can save a little $$ by eating up what we already have and have more to spend on our trips! Yay!
If anyone is interested, we are going to the lovely state of Utah, for a family member's wedding. I used to live there, and was IN LOVE with a restaurant called Cafe Rio. It has the most amazing salads. I always get a veggie salad. This time, I'll ask for it with no cheese, but I'm pretty sure their dressing has some dairy or something in it, but I tell you what, I have been craving this stinking salad for the past 5 years. I'm going to eat it and enjoy it, and probably not have it again for 5 years!!! Does anyone else make exceptions like that? I mean, I don't want to be a "fake vegan", like I've mentioned before, but I also want to just enjoy things that make me happy... Once every 5 years, if it turns out not to be vegan :)
No comments:
Post a Comment