Tuesday, September 14, 2010

I’m back, Vegan foods!

Is it really September? I can’t believe it. But on the same hand, I’m glad that summer is about over. It is hottt where we live, and I am so excited to actually WANT to be cooking in a kitchen and not worry about it becoming 100 degrees!

This past summer has been a roller coaster of many things for me: emotions, my eating habits, my exercise, my energy levels- pretty much everything. I have felt so out of balance, like I keep trying to get a firm footing, but just slip time and time again.

But lately, there has been something in the air. Or maybe just the air I’m breathing. But I am finally feeling like I’m starting to be the person I’ve been wanting to be for the past year or so…. And it feels… new. and exciting. and thrilling. and hopeful…. I don’t know how else to describe it.

But I have discovered / come to the realization that so much of my happiness day to day comes from preparing healthy food that tastes good that I know is good for me. I let myself give in to the stress that resulted from my roller coaster of a life the past few months when it came to my eating habits. But I am feeling again the way I felt when I first decided to try going Vegan. I LOVE IT! I’m a little bit pissed at myself for forgetting that for the summer, but hey, it has been a rough year, and I’m new at this, so I’m not beating myself up over it.

Today I dug out my Vegan Table cookbook {my only vegan cookbook} and I went to town planning our menu for the next 2 weeks… I also used a lot of our tried and true favorites, but it was inspiring to have a lot of ideas right in front of me.

On the menu for the rest of this week is this:

Tonight:

We had 1/2 hour Chili, which I improvised with some of the ingredients, but it turned out great, and my 3 year old declared it was “Delicious”… We topped it over a baked potato.

Wednesday:BBQ Tofu, Mashed Potatoes, Candied Carrots

Thursday:Tortilla Soup in Crock Pot, Cilantro Lime Rice, Guacamole

Friday:Tofu veggie Fajitas with leftover Rice and Guacamole

Saturday: Leftovers

Sunday: Eggplant Parmesan (I’ll make my little dish w/out cheese, but everyone else gets cheese on theirs as a special treat)

Monday: Vegetable Soup

Tuesday: Veggie Panini w/Lemon Basil Pesto, Sweet Potato fries

Wednesday: Potato Leek Soup, Warm Spinach Salad, Homemade Bread

Thursday: Red Lentils, Rice, Curried Chickpeas, Pitas

Friday: Out of town- this means I get to eat out at one of our favorite places- Chipotle! Yay for yummy vegetarian burritos the size of your face!

I’m so excited to eat all of this yummy food, and I’m only shopping for one week’s worth of groceries at a time now so I stop wasting food and buying junk. I’m done. Plus, I would really like to pick up any tips or pointers on saving $$ Grocery shopping. I’m the WORST! I just don’t get how people use coupons and save money eating Vegan. I only get coupons for junk food.

Well, I’ll be trying to take pictures of my food this week, so maybe at the end of the week, I’ll throw them on here so I can see for myself, and anyone else who wants to see, how yummy it is to be vegan….

First, though, I have to finish drinking my 2ltr of Coke…

Baby steps.

4 comments:

  1. Hey, let me know about those recipes. Some of them sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cherie, they are mostly all from my cookbook called "The Vegan Table"

    I'll email some of the ones I mentioned and a few other favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How is your vegan journey going?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Jenny, Thanks for your nice comments! I have to say, it is turning into a one step forward, 2 steps back type of thing for me... I try to make mostly healthy choices, but lately I really haven't been caring as much as I should be...So I'm taking a break from worrying about everything until after the holidays. I just try and keep it balanced....for every cinnamon roll I indulge in, I try and drink a green smoothie or two that day!

    ReplyDelete