Our 4th Wedding anniversary was this past June 30th. My husband went above and beyond any date or special occasion we have ever shared- and it was kind of a fluke!
He googled “Vegan Restaurants” for our area, and found a place that sounded good about 30 minutes away. The day of our anniversary, he picked me and the kids up at the airport (we had been visiting family back home), and we came home, I took a nap, then our awesome friends took our kids to their house to play so we could go on a date.
When he called the restaurant to find out their info, the owner/operator/chef explained that he was open to the public for lunches and he did catering, but he did dinner by reservation only. When my husband mentioned it was our anniversary, he said he would be happy to make us dinner! So we drove up the freeway, and got off at a little tiny, rinky-dink hillbilly looking exit, and I was thinking, “Oh, no.” But it turns out his restaurant is in this old restored historic mansion house in this little town. They have it split up into his place, a spa, and another business or two. It was really cute! We didn’t take many pictures, I wish we had taken more, but it was perfect. We were the only people in the place, and the Chef was a man from St. Lucia, who moved to NYC and attended culinary school there in the 70’s. He was one of the kindest, gentlest souls I’ve ever met! And I didn’t even know him!
He truly was amazing. The food was to die for. It was all vegan!Here is a picture of what we ate:
Above: He served us a sample of everything he had: Starting at the top was vegan lasagna, then some grilled plantains, delicious herbed roasted potatoes in the center, yummy rice, roasted squash & carrots, and some vegan spicy “chicken” in sauce to go over the rice.
I forgot about the Meatloaf. Oh, the Meatloaf. It was better than any kind of real meatloaf you could ever dream about! There were a few nuts in it, that I thought would be weird, but it was PERFECT!
We would have stayed for dessert, but dinner took a really long time, it was a one-man show, after all! We plan to ask him to cater something for us. We don’t know if it’s too lame to ask him to cater our son’s 3rd birthday coming up, but we just want an excuse to eat his food again! I don’t think I could ever make vegan taste like he did!
So, if you find yourself in the Fayetteville, NC area, hit up Eden’s Vegetarian in Smithfield. You won’t regret it!
Yummy! That looks so good. I have to come and visit you just to go eat there. Was it pricey?
ReplyDelete