Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Some Foods I've been making..Sorry, No Pictures!

I still have yet to get a few Vegan Cook Books, but there are so many recipes online, I've been trying some out the past few days.

One thing I made was a Bean-Polenta Casserole in the Crock Pot. I had never had Polenta before. It's like mushy cornmeal in a plastic tube. You slice it, and cook it however you want. I kind of sauteed slices in a pan before adding it to the casserole. The Casserole had chickpeas and White Cannelinni beans in it, with a Pesto sauce. The bad thing is that I didn't know until AFTER I added the pesto sauce that there was milk and cheese ingredients in it. I bought it a while back, but I guess I just thought it was vegan. I have since heard about a vegan pesto jar at Whole foods. Anyway, the meal was pretty yummy, I added sliced tomatoes and spinach leaves when it was ready. I just didn't love the Polenta. I think it was the texture of it. It made me a little grossed out!

The good thing I made was some baked Tofu last night. I marinaded it in a YUMMY marinade I got from Trader Joe's. It was mainly soy sauce and Pineapple juice w/some spices. Easy to re-create when I run out. I baked it for 35 minutes before adding it to a vegetable stir fry. It was the first time I liked tofu!

Other than that, we've been having lots of fruit, veggie wraps/sandwiches, and I think a veggie chili in the next couple of days. I have so many pre-cut veggies and fruits and leftovers in the fridge, we have to eat all of that before I have room for more food! I love it when that happens, so I get a night or two off from cooking!

The only sad thing is that my toddler hasn't been eating very much food..Like I didn't realize how much cheese and ranch dressing he was consuming. He would dip his carrot sticks in ranch, or his soy chicken nuggets. But I haven't been giving him the nuggets since I've been cooking actual meals. He'll get used to it, though. And, he's not starving...he's a big boy!

One negative thing I've noticed my body doing is CRAVING sugar... I really have a sweet tooth. Now, if I find myself hungry, or mostly at night, I want sweets or carbs.. I usually try and eat a piece of toast or some tea w/an orange or something.. But I admit to eating two fun sized mint three musketeers that I found in my freezer last night... My kids were stressing me out!! But I think it's out of my system!! And I know I won't be buying more of those things, so at least I won't be tempted by them anymore!!!

2 comments:

  1. Great job on trying to cook more, and trying different foods!

    I know how frustrating it can be to accidentally ingest animal products when you're trying so hard not to. I've learned to be extra extra careful about checking ingredient lists. You'd be AMAZED at what products (depending on the brand) can have milk and/or eggs in them (like some minced garlic pastes and jars!!). As for pesto, it's actually really easy to make a delicious vegan version from scratch. It's basically pine nuts, basil, and oil. I made a pesto pasta sauce to go over sweet potato gnocchi a few weeks ago and it was delicious!

    Keep up the cooking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I will try and make a homemade version, because I loved it! I had never really ate pesto anything before! I am getting better at reading labels, it was just my first grocery shopping as a vegan, and I didn't quite remember to read everything!

    ReplyDelete