I haven’t posted in a little while. We went out of town to visit my parents last week. My mom has a Vita-Mix, so I got to play around with my green smoothies. I think I’m hooked for life. I HIGHLY recommend them as part of your daily ritual. I have so much more energy, my digestion is so much more effective, and I love the taste! I’m even not having to add very much agave nectar anymore. I seriously LOVE them!
Ok, enough about the smoothies (even though I could keep going… Peanut butter/chocolate almond milk/banana smoothie, anyone? Had one last night. Uh-MAZING!)…
I just wanted to share a little story. I was really peeved off about it when it first happened, but I’ve gotten over it. Mostly. I sometimes have a bit of a temper. I hope this doesn’t offend anyone!
So, I sent the Hubs out to the store one night for some produce. He brought a green shopping bag, and filled it up with-you guessed it- GREENS! And some bananas and other frozen fruit. As he is shopping, he runs into a lady we know from Church. She had heard we are vegan a while back. She asked him how our “diet” was going. My husband just told her that he initially started eating vegan to support me and my reasons for doing it, but now he really likes it and feels better, physically. She then continues, “I just think it’s funny!” Followed by her explaining in depth how healthy her family is by eating maybe one meatless meal a week.
When my husband returned home and told me about the little conversation, I was fuming! I know, I know, it seems totally innocent. But I guess I just felt kind of judged. As in, when I tell other people that I’m vegan, I really try hard and not be the stereotypical “vegan” that I used to hear about who is very dominating and trying to persuade others to join them and convincing them how bad a person they are for eating animal products. When I told that lady I was vegan, she didn’t ask any questions, and I didn’t push it. I was actually happy that nobody asked me any questions that night, because it was my first week eating vegan!
But I just thought, “ Why is the way I eat funny to you?”
What I wanted to initially say to her if I had the chance was really rude. So, I’m glad it was my husband that talked to her and not me. I guess I better get used to it, but I will be prepared next time!
If it happened tomorrow, I would say this:
“Oh. What is it that you find so humorous?”
OR THIS:
“I know, I laugh every morning when I weigh myself and realize I lost every pound of baby weight after switching to a vegan diet.”
OR THIS!
“Yes, I know. Our sides are splitting every night when we realize not one innocent animal had to die a slow, torturous, and painful death in order for me to enjoy my delicious, amazing food.”
OK.OK. I think I’m done. I was a tad defensive. But you can defend your ways, and I can defend mine…
Because mine are better. So there!
I've been wanting to start making green smoothies... can you tell me a bit about what you put in them??
ReplyDeleteOops! I just noticed your last post - which clearly explains everything I just asked!
ReplyDeleteI hope you checked out the Green Smoothie Girl website- she explains everything better than I ever could! I love them so much, we have them twice a day, sometimes!
ReplyDelete