Here is my 4 year old, right before he wolfed down two plates of food on Thanksgiving!
Well, I can’t believe it’s really December. In 13 more weeks, I’ll be having a baby. That sounds really soon!
I’ve been kind of down on myself lately that with this pregnancy, I feel the unhealthiest I’ve ever been, and I have a lot more knowledge this time around, too- so it’s even worse. I didn’t do better, even though I knew better. Does that make sense?
But I did have a wake up call the other day at my midwife appointment. She asked if I wanted to take the test where you drink the nasty orange drink to find out if you have Gestational Diabetes. And while it’s really tempting to be so happy that I can choose not to take it, I actually feel like I should take it, since I can think back and remember how horribly I’ve been eating! Mostly sweets, sugar, desserts, soda- those are the things I craved the first two trimesters…. But, once I was able to have a little wake up call and think : How can I be pregnant for the 3rd time, and forget so easily that everything I put into my body doesn’t just affect me?! …. I’ve stopped any soda (especially my evil drink of choice, Coke). I truly don’t want to put junk in my body any more. I know it will taste good, but I just don’t want to risk hurting my baby, and once he’s born, it will just hurt me. I feel a little stupid because how many times will I “relapse” with my old junk food habits?
So last night, I prepped lots of veggies/ fruits for smoothies and juices, and made a delicious Vegan Split Pea Soup for dinner that was a big hit with everyone- except the 2 year old… But I really have this desire again to make healthful choices.
Some teensy excuses I have, while I was blessed to move into a house where I love the kitchen- I really wasn’t using it from the pain I was experiencing. If I stood in the kitchen for an hour, I could hardly walk the rest of the day. But I ordered some Crocs to wear in the house, and just found a good chiropractor that already helped me 90% in just one adjustment! Also, I’ve realized that I had a really negative outlook at cooking lately. The entire pregnancy, my husband maybe gets home in time for dinner once a week, if that. Usually he isn’t home in time to even see the kids before they go to sleep. I wasn’t used to him working that much, and starting at the beginning of my pregnancy, it just set the tone for myself to think that since he wasn’t home, I didn’t have to cook. I would just feed the kids easy kid food, or we would go out to eat.
Now, I’ll just make that big pot of soup, and hubby can take leftovers for lunch, and I won’t have to make lunch the next day, since we’ll be eating the leftovers, too. So that’s a great thing. Standing in the kitchen for basically 2 hours last night wasn’t even so bad, because I was happy to be making yummy stuff, and happy that I wasn’t in pain while doing it!
I did, though, just have my first Southern Thanksgiving food this year. It was Awesome! I was worried that I would hate it and be longing for Grandma’s good old food, but it was so different, yet delicious in it’s own way, I was so happy! I only ate one plate for dinner and had just a sampling of the things, and a few more leftovers for lunch next day. My 4 year old ate more than I did!
For Christmas, we’ll be on our own, so I have freedom to make whatever I want. I’ll probably have semi- traditional meal on Christmas day, but very toned down, and only one dessert, I’ve promised myself!
I hope everyone has a great Christmas!
No comments:
Post a Comment