Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Day 2

Today I started out refreshed… The effects of eating so many raw, whole foods has begun- and I can’t be far from a bathroom (sorry, just being honest)!  My kids slept in, and are taking a nice nap today, as well.

This morning, we all started off the day with a big green smoothie! They actually drained theirs very fast, and I didn’t have to coerce anybody to finish. I made the little boys a smoothie of bananas, some blueberries and strawberries, and some spinach and kale. It was yummy. I went ahead and made the recipe for the day two morning  smoothie which was 2 bananas, 3 stalks of celery, water, and a cup of raspberries. I used frozen, since I couldn’t find fresh ones at the store, and I like my smoothies ice cold.

Here it is  pre-blended:

002

*I forgot I added some extra spinach to make it even more Green!

It was so delish! My 19 month old, who already had his own smoothie was begging for this and going mad for it! I liked that it was pretty and pink, too.

Now it’s time for my mid-day smoothie which is a little bit exotic compared to what I normally make. Here is what is in it:

2 cups papaya ( I couldn’t get papayas, so I’m going to use my mangos)

5-6 medium dates

2 frozen bananas

1 handful parsley

add water to get desired consistency

I’m excited! I feel good today, just need to go a lot. I’m not stressing over the fact that I accidentally ate some bites of my kids mac’n cheese without thinking while I gave them lunch! Oops- it was just a couple of bites, and when the last box is gone, I’m not buying them anymore… At least until I have the strength to not eat them!

I forgot to mention that ALL DAY long yesterday, I had a headache from these knots that have been going on in my neck for the past few weeks… I got a massage a week ago, and that seemed to help, I’ve been working on them, too, and my husband has been giving me a back and neck rub every night. I don’t take medicine for it anymore, because it makes me dizzy and sick to my stomach.. I wouldn’t call them migraines, but I can feel it coming from my neck and around both sides of my head and then pulsating so hard, like my head is getting squeezed from both sides!  Anyway, I’m telling you, because yesterday, my DAY 1, it was the worst! I tried to ignore it and just power through, but when I went to bed, it was there… The interesting thing, is that today, it was lingering this morning, but I feel so much better now.. I’m hoping that the detox will help get rid of it! I think as the toxins leave, so will some weird aches and pains and ailments that have been bothering me… I can’t wait to feel good enough to start working out- the headache has made it so I can’t even imagine getting more blood pumping through my head, or  it might explode!

For dinner, I’m making the family Lentil Loaf ( a neat recipe found in my Vegan Table Cookbook.) I’m probably going to have a small portion of that and eat a steamed sweet potato or something else that is on the menu for the first week. They have guidelines and examples for you to follow- but ultimately, if you feel like you MUST eat some hot food, they have suggestions for what to eat- like a sweet potato or other whole veg. So I’m excited to have some comfort food- and get rid of the lentils that I didn’t know what to do with… Stay tuned!

{and now that I fixed my computer glitch- I’ll be sharing even more photos of my food for the next 19 days- and details of my detox}

4 comments:

  1. I just read all of your latest posts - well done! It's a bit inspiring, too, as I'm TRYING to do these things, as well - just not as successful as you, yet. I really need to develop a love for smoothies - the only reason I don't drink them everyday is because I don't enjoy the act of drinking, I even have to remind myself to drink water...so...I HAVE juiced the past two days, though, and I hope to start making a breakfast smoothie part of my routine. Like you've alluded to (with the mac n cheese) - it would be so much easier to fix my habits, if it weren't for cooking for the kids. Or at least I'd like to blame it on them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I wouldn't call me successful, really...Maybe we are all a little too hard on ourselves :)

    I don't mind the act of drinking, but when it comes to all the water and smoothies I'm supposed to drink on this plan, it gets boring! You should check out the GreenSmoothieGirl.com website for info/ inspiration to get on the green smoothie bandwagon- I say if you are going to drink anything when you don't like drinking at all, might as well be that :)
    {And I'll keep blaming my kids as long as I can, lol}

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW Alaina, you are hard core!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Suzie, I wouldn't say I'm hard core- maybe a little crazy, though! I definitely am liking all the new smoothie recipes, but when the 21 days is over, I'm excited to go back to my vegan/vegetarian food that is cooked and I can CHEW!

    ReplyDelete