Monday, February 8, 2010

2nd week

This marks the beginning of my 2nd week eating Vegan. I find myself really wishing for summer produce or at least living in a warmer climate. I hate HATE the produce at the stores where I live, but I think we are getting by. I've had some highs and lows over the past couple weeks that I'll share:

HIGHS:

- YUMMY tofu. I made a tofu stir fry that I actually LOVED the tofu. It's usually triggered my gag reflex before, so I am happy that I liked it and will be finding even more ways to prepare it in the future...
-Really good vegan cupcakes! I was skeptical at first, when my Sister assured me the recipe made cupcakes every bit as good as our Mom's famous Sour Cream Chocolate Cake. That was just too strong a statement to make, I thought. As they came out of the oven, the cupcakes looked beautiful, but when I tested one, I didn't think they had enough chocolate or something. But the next day, they almost did taste as good as Mom's! Or maybe my sister brainwashed me? I don't know!
- Every meal I have cooked at home has been VEGAN!! And we have liked everything. So I consider that a success. I just still don't have any cookbooks, so other than the tofu, I've been making things I always normally make that was vegetarian before, I am just not using cheese or sour cream or any dairy toppings. So it's all food we normally eat, which is getting boring to me!

LOWS:
-I went out to eat at Panera Bread with my toddler, and forgot to ask them to hold the feta on my Medditeranian veggie sandwich. AND I DEVOURED IT ANYWAY!!! It was like I was binging on something I knew I shouldn't have, but it was so good I couldn't stop. I seriously love(d) Feta cheese. They also smothered the salad in feta and I didn't eat it because even without the cheese, it was gross. The lettuce and tomatoes weren't even fresh.

- We went to a Super Bowl Party last night. I didn't tell the hosts that I was vegan, and since it was a pot-luck type thing, I brought my own bean dip and the Vegan Cupcakes. But I did have some seven layer dip but just only ate the bottom layers! And something else that sounded vegan, but I didn't ask, because it was so good and if she told me that there was eggs or something in it, I would have cried. So that was my lowest point.

Other than that, and my other occasional guilty pleasure(Coke) I've been rather pleased with myself. Here are some dishes I made last week:

-Tofu marinated in yummy sauce(I already wrote that earlier, sorry)
-half hour vegan chili w/bulgar and beans...also lots of other stuff. My husband LOVES this Chili!
-Tortilla soup- it's vegan!
-Crepes off my Rice Dream box. I just used my Ener-G egg replacer. I thought they turned out pretty great, and I have never made Crepe's before, either!
-Black Bean salad
-Sweet Potato Fries
-Some veggie sandwiches


That's all I can remember now, but I am really excited to get some new recipes. I just get overwhelmed at all the ingredients that I don't have and stores here don't carry a lot of vegan friendly products....So I'll just keep looking for inspiration online!

2 comments:

  1. It can be very hard at a restaurant to ensure that what you're eating is vegan. I've learned to be really specific with the server about what i can and can't eat, and ask them to let me know if anything that I order could possibly have eggs or dairy in it.

    The vegan meals you made this week sound tasty! Do you know where I can find the 30-minute vegan chili recipe? I love bulgur, so this sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll post it soon for you..I'm actually going to blog some pictures tonight of food, so I'll get the recipe up for ya!

    ReplyDelete