Tuesday, February 23, 2010

First Vegan Restaurant Experience…

This past weekend, we made the 9 hour trek to Dallas/Ft. Worth TX. I mentioned we were going to visit some friends of ours. We had so much fun. It went by way too fast!

While we were out and about on Saturday, we stopped by the Spiral Diner in Ft. Worth. I think if I hadn’t been so nervous since we brought 5 non-Vegan eaters with us, I would have had a better time! Don’t get me wrong, I was happy to have brought our friends, but I felt so much pressure for the food to not be totally un-edible. Luckily, I thought it was good. My husband’s good friend, a Texan, born and raised, was not so impressed!

But all in all, it was just so nice to know that I could have ordered ANYTHING off the menu and not worry about what was in it…  I ended up getting a wrap with sweet potatoes and tons of veggies in it. I thought that for a restaurant, it was pretty boring. I could have made it at home, and probably better. But, like I said, we were not at home, so I was so happy to be there. I only wish I could have tried dessert!  But I think my favorite thing we ordered was the baby’s food!  I just loved ordering him a plate of fresh veggies and fruits that were small enough for him to feed himself and stay entertained! I don’t know why more restaurants don’t do that!

I wanted to share something really quick…I’m going into my 2nd month as a vegan, and I’m still learning so much! Looking back, I think that as I stopped eating  meat long ago, I didn’t feel like I was missing much. Then, giving up dairy and all animal by products, I kind of panicked in regards to desserts! I have a MAJOR sweet tooth, so in my first month as a vegan, I really over compensated by making a LOT of vegan treats. And I  feel like I actually gained 5 lbs. I’m not sure, I don’t own a scale. But I am learning that vegan junk food is still junk food. So I am toning down the sweets and hitting the gym more!

And as my body is adjusting to my new diet, I feel a lot more sensitivities to what I eat. I used to be able to eat sugar all day long, and feel fine. Well, I felt fine because I was feeding my addiction. But I’ve started to really be able to feel how it affects my body like never before.  It is crazy that I used to not even feel any different!

Well, I am the worst blogger ever, because we forgot to bring our cameras on our trip, so I have ZERO pics of Spiral Diner. I thought it was a super cute place, and they even sold a few random vegan products in the waiting area.  The food was very pretty, and I would love to have taken pictures of it all! Oh well, maybe next time we’ll learn as we are trying to pack up two little kids and rush out the door to remember the cameras!

P.S.

I also was able to buy my first official VEGAN COOKBOOK! yay! I picked up Vegan Table from Barnes and Nobles… I loved being in a big City!

1 comment:

  1. OH NO! You went to Spiral and *didn't* try their desserts? That's almost the best part!!! The brownies are *ridiculous*! Some of their wraps are also not very good. I've found it hit-and-miss the non-veg people that eat there whether or not they like it. I think the people that go into it expecting and not wanting to like it end up not liking it. Those that go in with an open mind are much more impressed. If you make it back, you'll have to get dessert!

    Good luck with your new way of life!

    ReplyDelete