Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Vegan eating is actually quite easy!

I have to say, I’ve been pleasantly surprised at how easy it is to eat vegan. I haven’t gotten fancy yet. I haven’t used lots of exotic spices or ingredients. I want to learn to love Quinoa, Seitan, and lots of other things. But so far, I’ve been slowly easing into it, or just vegan-izing things I already love.

So I just want people to know, that its pretty easy. Was it easy to throw some beans and cheese on a tortilla and make a quesadilla? You betcha. Is it easy to throw beans and veggies on a tortilla and make an even more satisfying quesadilla? Yep. Still easy. And I don’t even miss the cheese.

I’ve really been thinking a lot lately about how strongly people feel about the food they consume. I mean, some people can become outraged when they find out you are vegan. And I’ve noticed that the people so far, who are the most against it and feel the strongest about eating meat, are unhealthy people. I find it quite ironic. Maybe they feel threatened, or maybe they think us vegans feel superior. But I don’t…  At ALL!  I don’t think I’m better than my meat eating friends. I feel lucky that I discovered this way of eating and living my life. So if I bring it up, it’s not because I think you’re wrong. It’s because I feel like I have something of value and I must care about you enough to tell you!Take it as you will.

This weekend we are driving to Dallas to visit some friends. I am so excited, because there are a couple of Vegan Restaurants in town that I want to hit up. Our friends aren't vegan, but they are cool with trying it. They are so fun! I can’t wait to see them! They are in the states for a few weeks from Germany, where they are stationed in the Army. So they are pretty cultured and open when it comes to food, so I think they’ll be fun people to go with! Here’s where we’re going:  Spiral Diner. It looks so good, and has a decent kids menu! Yay!

We are also going to Whole Foods and the Dallas, LDS Temple. I can’t wait. Should be a very fun weekend!

 

 

145

Here was my NON VEGAN Christmas dinner, that I made more for tradition’s sake than because it was “yummy”… Turkey (it was gross and wet in some places and dry in others, so we threw most of it out), Canned breadsticks, Orange fluff that consisted of Sour Cream, Cool whip, and orange jell-o mix (sounds gross, but it was good), pumpkin pie, green bean casserole. ..The only totally yummy thing was sweet potatoes that I put a bit of brown sugar in. It was really delish.

I can’t wait for another holiday to make a beautiful vegan feast. Most of the food I made for that meal made us feel too full and sick. I can’t remember feeling too full or sick one single time since I went Vegan.. HOORAY!

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you've discovered the most important - and most misunderstood - thing about veganism. It's EASY! Most foods are vegan, after all, despite what the National Food Guides tell us.

    ReplyDelete